Handcrafted late Art Deco folk art box. The footed box is signed J Young 1941. It appears to be a walnut wood box with splayed feet and a painted geometric design along the legs of the box. The top of the box has painted design of an urn with vines. The center of the urn is highlighted by the burl wood design. The design on the top is also bordered by thin painted line in an umber color lined by black. The design reminds me a a simple Art Deco design and the date on the box is 1941, yet the simplicity of the painting and the splayed feet is more reminiscent of folk art especially with the piece being handmade.
There are a few minor places of wear, one being where the wood did separate where the signature is found on the top. Another is a couple of spots where a small notch of wood near the legs is gone ( shown in photo 5). It does not affect the stability of the box.
At one time it appears to have had a lock, but it has been removed or lost through the years.
Inside the box there is top compartment with one long section and two smaller sections. All three sections have a dark velvet maroon colored fabric. When you lift the top compartment off, the bottom is wood without any fabric covering.
The hinges may have been replaced, I cannot say for sure.
I think this is a great box and especially nice with being signed. I love the simple yet interesting design even with the few minor noted spots of wear.
This would be a special gift for someone who collects either boxes, Art Deco or folk art. It would be a nice box for a gentleman or a lady.
Height: 5 inches
Depth: 9.5 inches
Width: 15 inches
Vintage Home Decor from SouthernLadyEstates:
If you have any questions or would like more photos please email and I will be happy to accommodate.
Shipping: The shipping quote is for calculated shipments within the United States Standard Post with tracking.
International Customers please email me before purchasing to receive an accurate shipping quote.
Non - Smoking Environment
Thank you for Looking!
Payment is through Etsy Checkout.
The various forms of Secure Options are listed above.
Etsy keeps your payment information secure. Etsy shops never receive your credit card information.
If you are interested in purchasing an item over $100.00 and need payments divided into 2 or 3 payments I will be happy to work with you. Please email me with the request.
* I try to ship the safest and most economical way for the customer. I will check cost USPS and Fed Ex Home Delivery and if Fed Ex is less I will contact you with the shipping quote.
* Items will be shipped USPS STANDARD Ground, First Class Mail, or PRIORITY MAIL WITH TRACKING on the following Tuesday or Friday after receiving cleared payment.
* Depending on the size and weight of the box an item may also be shipped Fed Ex Ground or Home Delivery. Items shipped to the West Coast in larger and heavier boxes are usually more economical going Fed Ex Home Delivery or ground.
* A shipping notification will be sent with the tracking number and estimated delivery date for all purchases.
* All priority mail and federal express shipments will carry insurance. USPS parcel select ground does not carry insurance.
* Any overage in shipping cost is always refunded to the customer.
* If the item happens to be a large piece of furniture, it may take a longer, but I will definitely let you know regarding any delay.
PLEASE CONTACT ME BY EMAIL REGARDING SHIPPING COST FOR FURNITURE OR FREIGHT.
* All purchases are packed extremely well, so if an item happens to arrive damaged please notify me immediately.
Please contact me via email to confirm shipping costs.
* Packages will be sent first class mail international if possible.
* All import duties, customs, taxes, and charges are the buyer's responsibility. I cannot mark an item below the value or mark the item as a gift. You will need to check with your country's custom office to determine what these costs will be prior to your purchase.